A two-story building with a flat roof and an arcade looking towards the road by the sea. The walls are built in the typical, local isodomic masonry. Very interesting is the structure of the interior, visible in the plans of the building.
Ancient Ialyssos (Filerimos)
The district of Ialyssos (Ialysos) encompasses the northern part of the island. It was inhabited in the prehistoric period. Remains of a Minoan settlement have been found at Trianda and Mycenaean cemeteries have been located on the surrounding hills of Makria Vounara and Moschou Vounara (1700-1400 BC).
On the north-western shore of Rhodes, close To the promontory of Agios Minas (the Ancient Mylantio) lies the third of The island’s ancient cities – Kamiros.
The Archaeological Museum of Rhodes is housed in the medieval building of the Hospital of the Knights. Its construction was completed in 1489 by the celebrated Grand Master d’Aubusson. It is a two-story building, with an internal courtyard, all four sides of which are lined with porticoes.
Asklipio (Asklepieion) Medieval Fort
The castle of Asklipio (Asklepieion) was built in 1479 by Grand Master D’Aubusson at the site of an ancient lighthouse. In the Byzantine period, during the time of the Knights, the castle also offered the inhabitants the protection of the surrounding village against enemy attacks.
The hotel is on mount Profitis Elias (Prophet Elias), near the Byzantine monastery with the same name. It comprises two buildings, a three-storeyed one, “Elafos” and a two-storeyed one, “Elafina”, both with a basement and a high pitched wooden roof.
Feraclos (Feraklos) Castle
The castle of Feraclos (Feraklos) lies 150m high on a very sharp and rocky hill, on the eastern side of the island, overlooking the bays of Haraki and Agathi, opposite the coast of Asia Minor.
Filerimos byzantine monastery & castle
In a quiet and shady pine forest on the hilltop of Filerimos, which is located on one of the first ancient towns of the island, Ialysos (Ialyssos), stands the astonishing Byzantine castle. Built during the Byzantine Era, the castle lies within a cluster of buildings of major historic importance, amongst Byzantine, Hellenistic and Medieval structures and monuments, including the Temples of Athena Polias and Zeus.
The former Governor’s Palace, now used as the Building of the Prefecture, is one of the most considerable buildings constructed on Rhodes during the Italian occupation of the island. It is a combination of many different architectural styles and its arrangement strongly resembles the Palace of the Duces in Venice.
Lindos is for most visitors the most impressive archaeological site on Rhodes. The dramatic natural landscape is enhanced by the picturesque quality of the more modern town, with the Lindos Acropolis rising dominantly on a steep cliff at 116 m height like a sovereign podium overlooking the sea, framed by mighty fortress walls.
Rhodes Medieval clock tower (Roloi)
Even being the highest elevation of the Old Town of Rhodes, the clock tower (Roloi), is hardly noticeable at first glance.
The castle of Monolithos was built on the foundations of another, older castle, and lies about 236m high on an amazingly difficult natural terrain, which made its construction even more challenging, near the village of Monolithos.
Rhodes Municipal Art Gallery
The Municipal Gallery of Rhodes today houses one of the most representative and authoritative collections of 20th-century Greek painting. Most of the painters who worked creatively during these nine decades are represented in this collection through some of their most characteristic works.
Rhodes National Theater
The National Theatre of Rhodes was built in 1937 by an unknown architect and was then called “Teatro Puccini”. It was one of the most modern theatres of its era, suitable even for the performance of operas.
The Acropolis of Rhodes, along with the Ancient Stadium of Rhodes, stood on the hill now known as Monte Smith. Only a few surviving remains of the Acropolis exist to provide a faint idea of its original grandeur. Still, it is well worth a visit.
Rhodes Astike School
The building was constructed in 1874 and it is one of the first organized Christian schools of Rhodes. It is a continuation of the “Mutual Teaching School”, founded by the metropolite of Rhodes, Paisios. The building was constructed on an older one, built-in 1765, which occupied the large, communal piece of land, that extended up to the modern Venetokleion
Rhodes Old Medieval Town
When you approach the walls of Medieval Old Town of Rhodes you are about to enter the oldest inhabited medieval city in Europe. It’s a thrill to behold. Best to know one thing from the start about the Old Town of Rhodes: It’s not laid out on a grid – not even close.
Rhodes Post Office
The building of the Post Office is located on the Liberty Square (Platia Eleftherias) of the modern city of Rhodes. It is an excellent specimen of the Rennaisance Eclecticism and the “Finta Pietra” technology.
St. Catherine Hospice
The Hospice of St. Catherine was built in 1391-92, under grandmaster Heredia, by the Italian Domenico d’Allemagna, admiral of the Order of the Knights of St. John (Knights Hospitaller). The founder was an important personage, disposing of considerable means.
The Byzantine castle of Lardos
The castle was built in the 12th century, during the Byzantine Era, by the Knights of the Order of St. John, whose main interest as soon as they arrived on the island in 1309, was to construct protective fortresses, preferably overlooking the sea, to defend themselves from the enemies.
The castle of Kritinia (Kastellos)
The castle of Kritinia (Kastello, for the locals) is a Venetian castle built in the 16th century on a hill about 131 meters above the village of Kritinia. It is fairly considered the gem of the village as it offers a breathtaking view of the Aegean Sea, the island of Chalki, and the islets of Strogyli, Makri, Alimia, and others.
The Medieval Castle of Lindos
Within the walls of the Acropolis of Lindos, lies the Medieval Castle, the Governor’s Palace of the Castle of the Knights of St John, consisting of three buildings, with only two remaining today.